Friday, 10 June 2011

Nobel Prizes in sf?

There was recently an interesting 'Mind Meld' post on SF Signal, one of the science fiction blogs I frequent, in which the following question was discussed: "What SF/F Authors Should Be Considered for the Nobel Prize in Literature?" It should perhaps come as no surprise that many of the contributors discuss Gene Wolfe, who certainly has some of the most sophisticated and literary writing I have come across (hence my obsession). There is also thoughtful discussion of other significant and influential figures in sf, including Ursula K. Le Guin and Samuel R. Delany. The frequent mention of Wolfe was partly driven by a recent tweet by John D. through the @sfsignal Twitter account, and with which I would have to agree:

Tweet from @sfsignal: RT @PrinceJvstin It's my contention that Gene Wolfe is one of the few core genre writers who could plausibly get a Nobel Prize in Literature
   

2 comments:

  1. Opinion often seems so very divided about Wolfe. I suspect it would go to the likes of Le Guin (who might be deserving also). Wolfe should *definitely* be in the running. I wish R. A. Lafferty weren't so obscure - I think he could be considered also.

    How are you getting on with the rest of The Knight?

    ReplyDelete