Thursday, 16 September 2010

Utopias Conference podcasts and other random things

I recently blogged about the fourth Australian conference on utopia, dystopia and science fiction, titled Changing the Climate: Utopia, Dystopia and Catastrophe (see Day One, Day Two and Day Three). I was just informed that audio podcasts of the keynote addresses have just been uploaded to the conference webpage. I would strongly encourage listening to the papers by John Clute, Kim Stanely Robinson and Tom Moylan — they were fantastic.



Thesis progress: almost there! Everything has now been written and looked at by my supervisor except for the conclusion, which will be quite short (and I have some great ideas for it, too, so there shouldn't be any problem there). I've been re-reading it and making some minor changes today and I'm really happy with how it's turning out. The only problem is that it's several thousand words over the word limit, so there may be some frantic word cutting ahead. The final submission date is 25 October, so we're getting close!



While checking some details on Michael Moorcock and New Worlds for the introduction to my thesis, I discovered that Moorcock has a Doctor Who book coming out next month! It's titled Doctor Who: The Coming of the Terraphiles and the hardcover edition is set to be released on 14 October, according to BookDepository.co.uk. It will feature the current (eleventh) Doctor and Amy Pond (yay!) as they join a group called the Terraphiles that are obsessed with Earth and its history. Apparently it will also involve some of the characters from Moorcock's other work, which should be interesting. Check out the awesome cover below.




And finally, I just had to post this hilarious YouTube video I discovered via the Evil Librarian Supervillain blog. Enjoy!


UPDATE: The above video is probably best enjoyed when it has been contextualised, so check out these recent commercials that have become a YouTube hits: Old Spice: The Man Your Man Could Smell Like, Old Spice: Questions and Old Spice: Did You Know.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment