Thursday, 22 October 2009

Essay done! SF reading underway!

Finally! I am now totally free from coursework units, having submitted my final essay yesterday. It could perhaps be considered sad, but on the same day as I technically finish uni for the year, I manage to pick up some reading for my thesis. I work at the Matheson Library at Monash University, and as I was walking past the new books display, this caught my eye:


Gabriel McKee, The Gospel According to Science Fiction: From the Twilight Zone to the Final Frontier (2007).

I've been following McKee's fantastic blog at sfgospel.com, and a while ago requested that my library acquire a copy of his book, and lo and behold, here it is! I read the introduction at work, and can't wait to get started on the book proper. Check out the table of contents at Amazon.com - I can't wait to read the chapters on Free Will and Divine Providence, Alien Messiahs, and Faith and Religious Experience.

I'm also about a third the way through Dust by Elizabeth Bear, which I'm really enjoying. I find it rather reminiscent of Gene Wolfe's Book of the Long Sun - failing generational spaceship, AI as 'gods', religious themes, blend of fantasy and sf, needlers (needle-guns in Bear), the word 'azure'. I'll write a proper review when I've finished.

On my agenda for post-semester fun: playing Oblivion and S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl; re-watching Stargate SG1; planning my trip to Italy in January (I'm auditing a one month unit taught at the Monash Prato centre called "Dante's Medieval World", which my wife is taking); and reading outside in the beautiful, sunny Spring weather. Also tidying the house, though that's perhaps slightly less fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment